Since living in the desert, I’ve become aware of a phenomenon I never noticed anywhere else--trees and other vegetation that sprout diamonds after it rains. Tiny droplets of water hang suspended from the branches and twinkle in the sunlight, red, blue, and yellow. When nearly all the vegetation in sight is glistening, our entire yard is transformed from a prickly, drab green, desert landscape to a surreal orchard of jewels. Usually the diamonds appear for only a few minutes--I’ve never known them to last more than thirty, but I’ve stared at them entranced. Never have I seen a diamond so able to capture my imagination so deeply. In fact the only diamond I’ve ever owned or desired to own is my engagement ring. It sparkles not so much for the intrinsic quality of the stone, but by the love it represents. I’ve never been one of those women who cherishes and must own precious jewels, especially diamonds. My jewels, I’ve said, are my children and grandchildren. They are more precious to me than the most expensive diamond in the world. Fortunately for me, I’ve never lived a lifestyle that required dressing or accessorizing with precious stones.
The other day, our orchard of diamonds appeared again and sent my imagination off to memory lane where I recalled similar encounters with nature’s diamonds. Staring at the images of Jack frost on the window panes when I was a child left me wondering and marveling at the unique and intricate patterns. I wondered then if there was a message in one or more of those lovely patterns on our windows.
Later, when skiing in the Rockies with my husband and looking out from the chair lift at miles of majestic mountains with peaks and crevasses all covered with freshly fallen snow, the crisp, clear air and the diamonds that twinkled beneath us from the lift all combined to make me feel rhapsodic with the joy of being alive.
Now in the latter stages of life, as I look out upon that sparkling desert landscape, I chuckle at the description of heaven as having a pearly gate for an entrance and streets paved with gold. That depiction never appealed to me much, certainly not enough to prevent me from engaging in my sinful ways. Now, however, as I stare enchanted, I wonder, perhaps, if heaven is a place where all the trees glisten with diamonds that reflect the colors of the rainbow, like tiny Christmas lights, and all the window panes are frosted with delicate lacy patterns, and all the mountain meadows are covered with white, freshly fallen snow that sparkles in the abundant sunshine.
I am sure there is a scientific explanation for nature’s jewels, for the composition of water in the snow and for colors reflected by sunlight, but I prefer to think of these moments as magical, as filled with wonder and awe, moments when we leave our tangible bodies and touch something beyond the physical. We earthly beings are fortunate to occasionally glimpse that awesome phenomenon. For “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face (ICor. 13:12).
No comments:
Post a Comment